22.2.2016

Caria castalia

Castalia Green Mantle

2014, Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil
Now we're really talking about metalmarks! The Green Mantle butterflies are like flying jewels. On their topside you can admire the green metallic sparkle when the light reflects from the wings.
But they seem to be very elusive and hard to come by species. However, I was lucky when I spotted one butterfly in front of our hotel while we were waiting for our ride. There on the red Brazilian soil was this darkish butterfly showing only its underside. I quickly took a photo and then wished to see the topside. Soon the butterfly surprised me by jumping on my camera. There it was - too close this time! I had no other choice but to admire the stunning beauty of the green sparkle it had on its wings.
Fortunately my father was there to capture a couple of shots with his pocket camera before the butterfly vanished.

I'm not 100% sure that pictured here is actually a Caria castalia as there are several very similar looking species in the Caria family, and I got some contradicting information about the red spots on the forewing underside. But perhaps this is a Caria castalia marsyas, at least based on the location.

2014, Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil

2014, Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil

2014, Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti